The most obvious advantage of a white bonded filling (composite) over a silver (amalgam) filling is improved aesthetics. The different shades of composite allow the dentist to match the restoration with your tooth so that it's nearly invisible. Secondly, composites strengthen the tooth's structure by a micromechanical bond to the tooth that allows superior adhesion of the restoration to the tooth. Unlike amalgam fillings, composites eliminate the need for the dentist to create retentive features by grinding on healthy tooth structure. Finally, composites act like a glue by holding the tooth together, as opposed to silver fillings. Since amalgams are composed of metals, they expand and contract with temperature, causing teeth to crack and fracture.
What are the advantages of tooth colored fillings?
- They closely match natural tooth color and appearance so there in no compromise on the esthetics.
- They bond to tooth structure chemically and thus do not require excessive tooth preparation.
- The bonding of white fillings to the tooth restore 85% – 95% of the original strength of the tooth.
- They are durable and resistant to fractures.
- They completely harden in seconds instead of days required by some other materials.
- If damaged they can be repaired.
The superior qualities of white bonded fillings make them the choice of Clear Creek Dental.
Dr Alex was and his staff made sure I had everything I needed to be at ease and checked in with me numerous times to make sure I was ok. I will never go anywhere else, I will recommend no one else, and I absolutely love and appreciate their work, their heart and their dedication to their patient's comfort and happiness. Thank you!Tasha E.