When dealing with a patient’s smile, veneers are a critical tool to any dentist. Veneers can be used to treat a single broken or discolored tooth to perfectly match with the adjacent teeth, or veneers can be placed on multiple teeth to give the patient a “smile makeover.”
Whether someone has excessive space between their teeth, worn or chipped teeth, or even crooked teeth, veneers can close these spaces, restore teeth to their natural size, and provide a uniform color, shape, and symmetry to make the teeth appear straight.
Because aesthetics are critical, veneers are made of all porcelain with no metal is involved. Porcelain veneers are custom-made over a tooth surface, either to improve the aesthetics of a tooth or to protect a damaged tooth surface. Veneers are bonded to the front of the teeth changing their color, shape, size, or length.
What veneers can do?
Dental veneers are an excellent solution for correcting:
- Discolored teeth(due to intrinsic/extrinsic stains)
- Chipped off or worn out teeth.
- Teeth that have poor shape, poor contour or slightly malaligned
- Small or medium spaces between the teeth
What Are the Advantages of Dental Veneers?
Veneers offer the following advantages:
- They provide a more life-like and natural tooth appearance
- Veneers are stain resistant and last for years at a time
- Veneers are stronger than composite resin.
- Gum tissue tolerates porcelain well
- Veneers offer a conservative approach to changing a tooth's color and shape as they generally don't require extensive tooth reduction
How about the maintenance of the new veneers?
Good oral hygiene must be maintained with brushing and flossing. Avoid anything that will tend to stress the laminate veneer like biting onto pencils, ice, nuts, raw carrots etc. Avoid clenching and grinding of teeth. When maintained well dental veneers last for 10-20 years.
If you’re interested in enhancing your smile, ask Dr. Alex if veneers are a good option for you.